Sunday, August 14, 2016

Summer Travels, Spinal Fusion One Year Later and More


I hadn't realized how long it had been since I'd last posted. I've written drafts with every intention of coming back to them, but somehow I kept getting distracted. It's been eight lovely months, and I've been very busy. I finished off another semester of school (somehow getting an A+ in astronomy??), and have spent the last three and a half months working, relaxing and knocking things off my list.

June 1st marked the one year anniversary of my spinal fusion, and I haven't looked back. All my activity restrictions have been lifted, and I been slowly getting back into yoga, as well as attending physio to sort out my crazy muscles. The surgeons say you don't need to worry about physio after this surgery - and sure I am 100% mobile, pain-free and happy, but my back is weak, and unbalanced. There are so many little things I would not have known I needed to tackle had I not seen my physio. Things would have been good without it, but they'll be great with it. Otherwise, there is nothing noteworthy to tell you about my back - only that it remains to be one of the best choices I will ever have made.




Shortly after my exciting spinal freedom, I set off to Ireland and England for two weeks. My cousin got married, and we tacked on a detour through Ireland to make the trip even more rewarding. We went to Dublin, and stayed with family in Kilkenny. We explored the Rock of Cashel and various other ruins. Kilkenny castle was also a favourite of mine. My proud purchase from Ireland was a tacky tourist bobble hat that I will wear to death in the winter. 


Next we crossed the pond over to Exeter to where the wedding was taking place. We stayed in Fursdon house, a 700-year old manor. It was so beautiful, and the most peaceful and quiet place I've ever stayed. I reunited with what felt like dozens of family members that I hadn't seen in at least a decade. It was really lovely, and a little sad because it was so brief!



Finally we went on over to London. It was an interesting experience. I've been before - but never for so long. We stayed in an AirBnB (best thing ever), and hit all of the major tourist stops. I found myself enjoying things that I didn't expect to, and being a little underwhelmed by the things I thought I'd enjoy most. My favourite location was the Tate Modern. I never could have appreciated it before now, but it was just so inspiring. I also quite liked the National Gallery, and the British Museum - though I felt a little disappointed that you cannot properly experience those in two hours. Ideally I would love to go back and spend an hour in each exhibit over a number of days. But it's nice that I have something left to see in London!





It has been a lovely summer, and I am really excited to go back to school in the fall. I have finished all my psychology credits, and will be dedicating the remainder of my classes to art (and one Earth science). I've been learning more and more about design and art history on my own, and I'm looking forward to hearing about it in an academic context. Then in December I'm done!

That's about it for now! I'll try to keep you updated a little more regularly in the months to come.


3 comments:

  1. Wow...uffff...thank God! You are back. By the way congratulations on astronomy. Hope one day you will discover alien. See you soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You covered a lot of ground in this post! How is your back doing now? Beautiful pictures of Ireland!

    ReplyDelete